Essential Carbine Skills (3 Day)
The ECS course will be geared toward taking intermediate level students and exposing them to more advanced shooting techniques, unconventional shooting positions and working with others as a team. Training area is real-world, not a square/bermed range. Some of the topics to be covered will be fundamentals of marksmanship and how they are applied to the students' weapon system: cover and concealment; use of barricades, clearing weapon stoppages and movement/communication/teamwork. This three-day course will go beyond the standard 'square range' by utilizing training space not typically accessible for civilian training. The 3-day format will not only give students the opportunity to learn some new skills, but also allow enough time and repetition to work through applying them proficiently on the range with our instructors. This is not a beginner-level class; students need to have full familiarity with their carbine's basic operation. Course fees are inclusive of lodging and meals from Thursday night through Monday breakfast. Adjustments can be made as needed for locals or those needing to arrive or depart on a different schedule.
Topics To Be Covered
- Firearm Rules/Life Safety Brief
- Combat Mindset
- Gear Selection/Placement
- Weapons Handling and Manipulation
- Administrative, Speed and Tactical Reloads
- Alternative Shooting Positions
- Transition from Rifle to Pistol
- Malfunction Clearing
- Speed vs. Accuracy Drills
- Multiple Target Engagements
- Cover vs. Concealment
- Barricade Shooting
- Shooting On the Move
- Low-light/No-Light Shooting
- 100-300yd use of carbine
- Carbine (.223/5.56/300BLK) SBR's, silencers and AR Pistols ok. Please have appropriate paperwork for NFA weapons.
- 1X or 1-4X Optic recommended but not required
- Pistol (9mm/.40SW/.45acp) and OWB holster
- 3 pistol magazines and pouches
- 3 carbine magazines with pouches or carrier for them (Min of 3 mags, 5 Recommended)
- Functional weapons sling
- Weapon lubricant, cleaning kit and tools that work with your weapon system
- Weapon-mounted light (loaners available)
- Knee-pads optional (will be working on hard-surface areas at times)
- Eye protection
- Ear protection (Electronic Preferred)
- Sturdy belt to hold equipment
- Any kit such as plate carriers, leg rigs, helmets, nvg are all welcome
- Water bottle/hydration system
- Weather-appropriate clothing and footwear that allows for athletic movement in any weather
- 1000 rounds of rifle ammunition, 300 rounds pistol
- Sleeping bag or twin bedding, pillow, towel (swimsuit, fishing rod optional)
Tuition, Lodging, Meals, Range Fee:
Enrollware enrollment system will require $600 deposit via credit card, balance payable by check upon arrival. Options are available for locals and others requiring various combinations of lodging/meals or no lodging. Reply to this email for those prices.
Ammunition: 1,000 rounds rifle, 300 rounds pistol minimum required, can be provided/delivered to site by Weaponcraft upon request. Carbine and some equipment can be supplied.
Moose River Outpost, or MRO is a christian summer camp with a 7,000 acre complex in Jackman Maine that totally encompasses 200+ acre Heald Pond and has a number of training locations where we can conduct pistol and carbine classes, 7,000 acres for wilderness survival, land navigation and interior logging roads that allow for night vision driving and 200-1800 yds (over a mile) line-of-sight for medium to long distance shooting. The camp also provides accommodations, meals and access to great trout fishing as well !
We appreciate our hosts' interest in what we do and look forward to being able to provide a training venue unlike anything in the Northeastern U.S.